4 6-oz. chicken breasts
3 T. fresh oregano
1/4 c. olive oil + 2 T.
salt and fresh black pepper
4 pita pockets
juice from 1 lemon
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. clover honey
1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 head romaine lettuce, chopped
1 cucumber, peeled and diced
2 jarred roasted red peppers, drained and thinly sliced
1/4 c. Kalamata olives, chopped
8 oz. Feta cheese, in small cubes
1. Put chicken in a baking dish. Combine oregano with 1/4 cup of olive oil in a blender; process until smooth. Coat chicken with marinade, cover and chill for at least 30 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade; season with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Wrap pitas in foil and warm in the oven.
3. Heat 2 T. of oil in a large nonstick pan over high heat. Cook chicken until golden brown, 4.5 minutes per side. Remove; let rest 5 minutes. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
4. Whisk lemon juice, red wine vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Slowly whisk in extra-virgin olive oil. Add lettuce, cucumber, roasted red peppers, Kalamata olives and Feta cheese; and toss. (Alternately, whisk dressing mixture together and add less EVOO and drizzle over your own mixture of fillings - lettuce, cucumber, peppers, olives, cheese. Adding dressing to your own portion will also extend the life of the filling, since it won't get soggy.)
5. Remove pitas from oven; halve. Fill with salad.
Salads make a great meal anytime of day and provide excellent nutrition!
Don't forget to vote for your favorite recipe on the blog! The top recipes will participate in a cook-off!