Tips to Improve Your Sleep
If you are unable to sleep well on a regular basis, then it is probably time to evaluate and improve your sleep environment.
Optimal bedroom environment:
- Cool: 60-70 degrees
- Free from noise & light
- Free from allergens
- Comfortable pillows
- Comfortable mattress
- (Mattress life expectancy is 9-10 years)
You may want to consider a new mattress and pillows, blackout curtains, ear plugs, white noise machines, humidifiers, fans etc.
Develop good sleep habits:
- Stick to the same bedtime
- Have a relaxing bedtime ritual like a hot bath, reading, meditation, or breathing exercises
- Exercise daily (probably not right before bed)
- Avoid bright lights before bed
- Avoid cat naps (only if they seem to affect your sleep at night)
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, & heavy meals before bedtime
- Avoid electronic devices, television and work projects before bedtime
If all else fails, get a professional sleep evaluation from a sleep clinic. Good sleep is very important for good health!