Monday, November 30, 2015

Meet Your WellU Team - Julie Zaruba Fountaine (Wellness Coordinator)

Julie Zaruba Fountaine
My journey began at the University of Mary in Bismarck, North Dakota while attending a presentation delivered by Dan Buettner about Blue Zones. I remember thinking , “ how do I learn how to do that?”. I have since completed my Master’s degree in Health, Nutrition and Exercise Science at North Dakota State University in Fargo North Dakota. I continue my health and wellness journey today by attaining WELCOA faculty status and Mayo Clinic Tobacco Dependence Center training. I am currently the Wellness Coordinator here at the College of St. Scholastica.
Saints step into community, hospitality, stewardship, love of learning, and respect.  This is the mission of wellness at the College of St. Scholastica (CSS). Our team has worked on policy to deliver change that is sustainable and not fleeting. The act of stepping in is a process. I believe a common statement is, most people don’t value their health until they lose their health, then they turn to us (health professionals). My dream is that more people are able to enjoy the benefits of incorporating wellness strategies into their lives and that they don't lose their health.  I plan to continue to step into building data driven, evidence based programs, while also taking time to reflect and  build a culture of wellness based on the concepts of community, hospitality, respect, love of learning, and stewardship.  It is only through a holistic approach that we will be able to meet the needs of our community.