Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Spreading Wellness: How are you inspiring those around you?

Growing up my Grandpa was an avid cross-country skier, and frequently told stories about his ski adventures with his buddies. I was fortunate enough to get to know his friends, and we would see each other often on the trails and at marathon ski events. They all have fantastic stories of inspiration, but one story clearly defines my definition of heroism. At a marathon race a few years ago, I was talking with one of my Grandpa's friends. He was now an 80+ year old athlete. He had a smile on his face, and was telling me about his current medical condition which had caused him for the first time in many years put more miles on his truck than on his skis, and also the reason that he couldn't race that year. Despite this set back, he added that he will be back skiing next year, and that he was happy he had asked for a second opinion so that he didn't need to have his foot amputated. Wow! What an attitude on life! It was always a pleasure to run into him and hear his stories. At an early age I was exposed to hero's like this, and I would walk away feeling inspired, and reminded that I needed to stay active so that I too could lead a full life, until the end. As I grow older, I often think about these hero's, and hope that someday I too can be an inspiration to others. If I can make a positive impact in one person's life, whether through a smile, a listening ear, or somehow help to empower someone to reach their dreams, then I have succeeded. And, I am striving to continue skiing marathons into my 80's and 90's, just like my Grandpa and his friends.

Do you have a hero? Do you have a story that you are willing to share? WellU has started an employee challenge, and one of the ways to earn points is to share your story on our blog! An extra 25 points! Maybe your story is about your personal accomplishments, hurdles that you overcame, ways that you met your goals, stories about one of your hero's, or ways you helped to inspire someone else. If you are willing, please share your story in the comment section below. We would love to hear! For more information about the challenge please go to: imleagues.com, sign up today, and share your story here...as last week's blog referenced, let your words echo throughout our community.