Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Spreading Wellness: What's this BUZZ all about?!

"Oh the buzzin' of the the bees and the peppermint trees.
Round the soda water fountains,
Like the lemonade springs and the bluebird sings
In the Big Rock Candy Mountain."
~Traditional Song~

This traditional song from our youth seems so fun-loving and magical.  At the same time, it is seeming to become a little bit more magical than realistic.  As a child, I never thought about buzzin' of the bees going away...I just thought about them as they stung me on my toes, because I liked to run around barefoot, and I'd step on them as they frolicked in the clover.  Now, as an adult and an urban farmer, I think about them much more.  This year we continued to expand our crops, and we were hoping for some yummy pumpkins and squash.  We planted a number of plants, and as the season went on I kept finding great male and female flowers, but nothing was happening.  No pollination.  So I started to pollinate the female flowers manually...something I've never had to do before.  My neighbor told me that I should consider bee-keeping so that our crops can flourish.  My manual pollination worked, but as you can see, our pumpkins are tiny.  We will use them, but hope for a better crop next year.  We have started wondering if we should jump on the bandwagon of bee-keeping.
The timing to learn about bees is perfect!  Here at the College of St. Scholastica, we have a Bee Club!  Do you want to learn what all the BUZZ is about?  Join us next week, October 24th, at Noon in Somer's Main Lounge to learn about the bees.  Our Bee Club has this to share with you...."There has been much recent publicity identifying the loss of billions of honeybees.  As honeybees are responsible for the majority of pollination of crops, it is important that more people learn about what they can do to help save the bees-and subsequently our food sources!  Come learn about what YOU can do to help our sweet friends."

Have you thought about these wonderful little animals as your friends before?  Have you ever pondered what really creates the food that we eat?  Have you thought about bees and their struggles? If you have, or even if you haven't, please join us to learn, just what this BUZZ is all about at our next Brown Bag Lunch and Learn, October 24th.  See you there!