Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Spreading Wellness: What have you learned from the little things in life?

As I drove up Haines Rd this morning, and overlooked the beautiful flowing waters of the St. Louis River, with the sun trying to send its warm rays through the dissipating clouds, I couldn't help but be grateful for the area in which I live. As I approached the top of the hill to turn onto Skyline, my bike quickly died.  That should have been my warning.  However, it wasn't until I continued taking in the awe of Skylines views and my bike started to sputter that I realized I needed to turn my tank to reserve.  I was off and running.  This time riding on borrowed time, until I could pull into a filling station.  As I filled up my bike I pondered....what if life had a reserve tank, subtle warnings to let us know that we need to re-fill our own tanks?  Then I thought...life does have warning signs, if we just slow down and listen.  I remembered a quote by Mahatma Ghandi, "There is more to life than increasing its speed."  So true.  If we just slow down, we can be more in tune with our own tank levels.

This is Jodi Tervo Roberts here, the new Employee Wellness Programmer, with the College of St. Scholastica.  I am so excited to begin this new challenge in life; to help to spread wellness throughout the community.  We have so many fun events and activities planned, and some in the works.  I hope that you will join us for at least one wellness activity this school year.  We will be releasing a wellness wheel within the next month, to help people gauge their own tanks, and keep in tune with their individual warning signs.

Please stay tuned for more information, and ask yourself now...What have you learned from the little things in life?  Are you running on reserve? OR, What are your personal filling stations?  These can be different for everyone, and it is healthy to slow down and re-fill before you start to sputter.