Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What do I want to eat?...






“What do I want to eat?”… 

By Alicia Roles 

A question I find that I ask myself multiple times a day, every day.  While it may seem like a simple question, often times it is not.  I find that I struggle between finding something to eat that sounds appetizing, has nutritional value and is the correct portion size, so many factors with so many answers. 
When I have made my way past finding something to eat with nutritional value and that sounds appetizing I have found that I still struggle with the proper portion size.  When I cook for myself rather than going out to eat my portion size is much easier to manage.  For example, I always over estimate a serving size when cooking pasta, so I have gotten into the habit of measuring out my amount of pasta.  In a nutrition class I took we learned various tips and tricks to double check what a serving size would be.  For example, 1 serving of cooked meat is about 3 ounces which is about the size of an ivory soap bar.  I found a great link with some of these tips so I encourage you to look through them to gain a better understanding of a serving size.
            Serving size is only part of eating right.  There are so many more aspects, such as the macronutrients your body needs to survive or the importance of choosing a variety of food groups.  This is easier said than done though, especially when you are eating out rather than at home.  I invite you to come to the first ever Cenergy program.  We will be having about a 15 minute presentation on the basics of nutrition and how to apply those basic rules to eating out followed by 10 minutes of time for discussion or questions. Students please join us on either Monday February 4th at 2:30 in T87 or on Thursday February 7th at 12:15 in the Intercultural center. To Sign up go to Cenergy! Sign Up Form